Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Alaska Caper - Day 30

July 3, 2007
Posted by: Dick Wilson

Start: Lake Louise, AB
Destination: Coeur d’Alene, ID
Miles traveled: 328

I have a reputation for being slow in the morning and keeping my cohorts waiting. I was bound and determined not to let that happen today. Bob and Jerry wanted to leave and head for Coeur d’Alene starting at 0800, and Steve was splitting off from us for Calgary and then down into Montana for his marathon trip back to the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Consequently, I was up and going at 6:00 a.m. and had my bike started and parked in front of the Drake/Evangelho room at 7:30. I believe my friends were favorably impressed, although I indicated to them that I could not assure them of a comparable performance on a regular basis in the future.

I bid my good friend, Steve, goodbye with a soft, quiet prayer for him to have a safe journey home. This trip had been an incredible experience. We had traveled safely for thousands of miles through spectacular country. I cannot imagine consistent beauty of this sort anywhere else in the world. We had met people from all over the world on this trip and found the Alaskans and Canadians with whom we interacted to be gracious and friendly. It has truly been a once-in-a-lifetime experience which I will never forget. I am grateful to Linda Larrabee for lending me Steve for one month, to Steve for tolerating my idiosyncracies, and to my dear wife Jacquie for agreeing to still be at home if I arrived alive.

We were then headed off to Coeur d’Alene with Bob Drake in the lead. Needless to say, the pace was brisk. When we arrived in Coeur d’Alene, the temperature was over 90 degrees. We were glad to get off our bikes and travel around locally in Bob’s luxurious Lincoln SUV, which he had driven from Boise to Coeur d’Alene, towing his and Jerry’s GS bikes.

No comments: